Current time in Africa

Monday, February 7, 2011

Mission Expansion

Well I had a really great week this week. Those that we are teaching are so amazing and are having some really awesome spiritual experiences. My health has definitely improved this week. So I want to talk a little about the growth of the mission this week because im really excited about it right now. So right now in Sierra Leone its self there are missionaries in the Capital city of Freetown, There are missionaries in the 2nd city Bo, And there are missionaries in a place called Kenema which is part of our zone here in Bo but it is its own city. So in March another city will be opening up for missionaries the city of Makeni (not sure if that is the correct spelling). So when I came on mission there was just a small group of members in the city of Makeni I remember president Squires showing it to me on the map and said how there were a few members who meet in one of there houses and hold a sacrament meeting. To show you the growth of membership here apparently by March there will be 4 branches in the city of Makeni and That transfer (I have heard from other missionaries) that president will be sending missionaries there that march transfer. We will be having a Zone Conference on Wednesday and so I am hoping president will be telling us more about it. Also some time back president asked us to pray for more missionaries in this mission because of our growth. Apparently our prayers have been answered. I'm not sure on the exact number of missionaries that will be coming but we will begin to receive more and more missionaries from here on out. Not this transfer but the next I think we will be receiving 5 from Nigeria and 4 from Australia which is cool because we don't have any from Australia right now. We have been receiving more from the southern part of Africa also. We have one greeny in our apartment who is from Zimbabwe he is really awesome im always trying to get him to speak the clicky tongue language for me. Sometime I wish they spoke like that here. So this is a really exciting time to be serving here. Thinking about these things gets me really excited for those who we are teaching. I always tell them about how much the church is growing and how they get to be apart of it and see the miracles and blessings come to this country. I guess I will share this. So as I was typing it popped up saying I had a new email. It was the response from my mission president to the weekly letter that I just sent him. (he has this cool new blackberry he emails us from) anyways so this is something that he said to me in the email and it fits with what im typing. "The church growth is increasing at the pace the missionaries apply their faith. We have a lot of faithful missionaries". -President Roggia. So that's pretty awesome and very true the elders here are absolutely amazing. I thank you all for the love and support. I'm sorry I havnt been emailing any pictures home lately all of these computers in this cafe that I have been using aren't very good so maybe next week I will go to a different cafe so I can send you some pictures. Watch the mission blog this week because President will be coming here for Zone Conference. I love you all.

Elder Lancaster

2 comments:

Julie said...

What a remarkable thing you are doing in Africa!! I get chills a lot when I read your emails, and am so excited to hear about the growth of the Church there. Thank you for being one of the faithful elders who are helping the gospel spread far and wide!! Good luck at Zone Conference. I'm sure it will be a spiritual feast--keep up the good work!!!

Claudine Cable said...

This is so fantastic! What great news. I truly believe what President Roggia said about the link between faithful missionaries and growth of the Church in the mission. How wonderful to be a part of this.